International SOS doctors shortlisted for Offshore Safety Awards

21 July 2016 ,  —

London


Two doctors from worldwide medical and security services company International SOS have been nominated for Offshore Safety Awards in recognition of their new processes for offshore and onshore Oil & Gas UK (OGUK) medicals.

Aberdeen-based medical director Dr Louise Slaney and senior medical officer Dr Shirley Kong have been shortlisted in the occupational health category of the awards ceremony, which takes place on 17 August at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre.

rig main picture

The doctors helped increase operating efficiency and client satisfaction, while maintaining International SOS’ high quality medical services. 

Dr Slaney established and implemented an improved procedure for International SOS’ HSE-approved offshore medics to conduct OGUK medicals on assets offshore.  This new process was well-received by medics and employees alike as it has reduced travel and staffing costs and allowed employees to obtain an OGUK medical offshore instead of having to return to land.

The offshore medical protocol – approved by OGUK’s medical advisor – makes it compulsory for medics to be trained onshore prior to deployment.  The policy has been in operation for six months and positive feedback has been received from clients, who enjoy the convenience of undergoing their medical while on duty on the asset.

Dr Kong optimised the way in which onshore OGUK medicals are conducted by creating the nurse-based medical process.  This improved medical examination is conducted entirely by a fully-qualified nurse, under the supervision of an OGUK-registered doctor, giving patients a single point of contact and freeing up doctors to focus on other tasks such as medical advisory and telemedicine if they are not required.

At the end of each medical, a doctor reviews all the information and findings and decides on the appropriate certificate to issue.  The patient can still be referred to a doctor if needed, emphasising the International SOS commitment to safety.

Since March 2016, 140 OGUK medicals have been carried out by two trained nurses as a result of Dr Kong’s nurse-led medical initiative.  88% of respondents to a patient survey stated that their experience of the nurse-based OGUK medical at International SOS was ‘excellent’, with the remaining 12% stating that it was ‘good’.

Both developments have allowed staff to acquire additional learning and development opportunities, with more nurses being trained by International SOS to create a health surveillance component to their services. 

Dr Michael Braida, Regional Medical Director of International SOS, said: “I am delighted that Dr Kong and Dr Slaney have been recognised for their exceptional contributions by the Offshore Safety Awards.

“Their innovations have been very well-received by our clients, who appreciate the reduction in time spent travelling to and from their appointments.

“International SOS believes the combination of a highly skilled offshore medic working in close collaboration with an OGUK-registered doctor can provide a reliable and high quality service to all our clients.”

The Offshore Safety Awards, organised by Oil & Gas UK and safety body Step Change in Safety, are designed for the energy industry to share and recognise both the individuals and companies who are working to improve safety in inspiring ways.


About the International SOS Group of Companies


The International SOS Group of Companies is in the business of saving lives, protecting your global workforce from health and security threats. Wherever you are, we deliver customised health, security risk management and wellbeing solutions to fuel your growth and productivity. In the event of extreme weather, an epidemic or a security incident, we provide an immediate response providing peace of mind. Our innovative technology and medical expertise focus on prevention, offering real-time, actionable insights and on-the-ground quality delivery. We help you meet compliance reporting needs for good governance. By partnering with us, organisations can fulfil their Duty of Care responsibilities, while empowering business resilience, continuity and sustainability.

Founded in 1985, the International SOS Group is trusted by 11,000 organisations, including over half of the Fortune Global 500, multi-national corporate clients and mid-size enterprises, governments, educational institutions and NGOs. 11,000 multi-cultural medical, security and logistics experts stand with you to provide support & assistance from over 1,000 locations in 90 countries, 24/7, 365 days.   

To protect your workforce, visit www.internationalsos.com.